Fastlife Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastlife Racing

A place where El Paso can meet up to talk about the fastlife. Motorcycles, Quads, and Cars!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

In the market for bike questions

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AndyH

In the market for bike questions Empty
PostSubject: In the market for bike questions   In the market for bike questions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 4:10 pm

Im in the market for a sport bike and I want to lay a few things out and get your opinion.

I rode a honda 1100 spirit for two years and it was fun to ride. I found myself wishing I could be alittle more... Aggressive tho. I recently sold it and wanted to try out a sport bike.

From what I see a 600 "race class" is about 3k more than a non race class "say 650/750 etc". They are geared to be in the red for maxium torque/hp and top end speed. In return you sacrifice mpg.
- correct statement?

A liter bike is the same, but because of the high displacement you get more hp in the low rpm ranges. like current 4-stroke dirt bikes over the old smokers. Again geared for a crazy top speed.
- another correct statement?

I have also noticed that the ride position is very aggressive in race class bikes. I come from a dirt bike background and we refer to it as a "attack position" which is mostly spent during a race but not when actually riding.
- correct?

I want to use this bike as a commuter bike to las cruces and back to elp. If I ask around I get the whole "cruiser is more comfortable" but im missing the "fun" factor im looking for. Dont get me wrong I dont want to ride around going 200mph weaving in and out of traffic... but I do want to be able to have a little umph when I want it. I didnt find it all that fun riding a couch around.

Based on the above statements I have been looking at 650s/750s.

Am i far from the mark on sport bikes? Again I come from a motorcross background and rode a cruiser... that makes me ignorant when it comes to getting what I want...
which is:

1. mpg - with gas at 4 dollars now I dont want to give up 15mpg for a extra 50mph top speed. how often are you guys going over 120 in elp.... seriously....
2. comfort - I figure a hour drive on a sport bike is not that long. The "aggressive stance" optional? have to be in it?
3. fun factor - even a 250 gets moving quickly. is it fun to go fast? YES. all the time? doubt it.

based on those in that order thats what Im looking for. Its pointing me towards 650s. input?

Thanks,
Andy

Back to top Go down
ramon2130

PostSubject: Re: In the market for bike questions   In the market for bike questions Icon_minitimeThu Apr 05, 2012 5:46 pm

Your information is correct both statements.
Personally i believe its worth it giving up a couple of mpg's for some more (fun) hp/torque.
Yes attack position is a must for all sport bike riding it does differ a little from bike to bike look for one thats comfortable to you. Seat on them and feel your leg position and posture both hands on the handle bar.
Your hands will definitely start feeling more pressure (compared to riding on a cruiser) from holding your body up on longer cruises EP -> LC but you'll get use to it in no time.
I do hit the 100mph on my bike pretty much every day but 120mph and up only on the weekends during some rides with friends on Transmountain or 375 loop.
DON'T get the 250 you'll be making a big mistake. I drive a 06' Yamaha R6 (couple o mods, smaller rear sprocket, performance clutch, aftermarket exhaust) great power a lot of fun no need for a 750 or 650.
Back to top Go down
AndyH

PostSubject: Re: In the market for bike questions   In the market for bike questions Icon_minitimeFri Apr 06, 2012 3:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I assure you I will not be buying a 250 Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: In the market for bike questions   In the market for bike questions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

In the market for bike questions
Page 1 of 1