Fastlife Racing
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fastlife Racing

A place where El Paso can meet up to talk about the fastlife. Motorcycles, Quads, and Cars!

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

65cc new rider

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
AndyH

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitimeWed Apr 11, 2012 2:27 am

Hopefully I can make this post picture heavy... everyone loves pictures!

Few months ago I picked up a TTR 90 and a 2001 Yz 125 for 1,250. The hope was the kiddo would enjoy riding and we could do it together.

IMAG0059

Well he loved to ride and that works out great because so do I! Starting out he had some trouble riding in the sand which... sucks... because there is so much in this part of the country. Local bike shops had no idea where we could ride. the general answer is "well the desert of course". What they failed to understand, or I failed to convey it is that without boundaries how is he suppose to learn to keep a bike in a line and or on a path. How do you teach a kid how to take a turn when he can just keep going straight?

Found "the wall" which is pretty cool. there are "paths" that helped hone his skills abit. Some sandy parts that he eventually learned to tackle. This was us after a trip there. I even posted it in the "upcoming rides" section. Met no one that knew of this website but I passed the info on!

IMAG0086

Now that he was to the point that he could go wherever I could, we started riding north of transmountain road across from the outlets. I like riding there because its minutes from the house and there alot of jeep trails about. For fun we cross under the highway and hit up the gas station for a drink halfway though the ride.

With his developing skills I wanted him to experience the joy of being on a track. I am still unable to contact a person from xmotoball. I even tried signing up for the updates... which i havent received any yet. TulieMX did answer the phone and were very helpful with directions and getting him on the track. The day before the race was a all day practice and I figured that would be a good time for him to have some fun. "posted this date on rides also Smile ".

20120407_112606

They had two tracks and being his first time I took him to the newbie track first. It does have a double, table top, and a big single that leads into a turn. My instincts to spend the day on the small track was a good idea because he did spend some time in the dirt.

20120407_122846

The TTR is a trail bike and the suspension travel is... zero. That being said he beat himself up on that track for HOURS. towards the end of the day he was riding it pretty hard. It sucked to see him reaching the limits of his bike on the small track. When arm pump was hitting him he still wanted to head the the big track. I watched the kids on that track and he would have 1. been on his back more than on the bike 2. broke everything off of his bike and 3. been in everyones way Smile.

20120407_122957

Well he wants to ride everyday. And he wants to race pretty bad. His skill is no first place winner but he is skilled enough to finish and have fun. I would even feel comfortable with him riding on the big track at this point. His bike is a issue.

20120407_125022

I looked at a KX 65 today before work. The price is ABOUT right and if he will come down a few dollars Ill buy it tomorrow.

Untitled

There is nothing holding him back now. I wish he could get more track time and/or ride a area much like a track.

Any other parents out there have kids riding / racing?

Know of any areas to ride and hone some mx skills?

How bout just a riding buddy? two kids riding together push each other to ride faster. I would love for him to have that.

hope you all enjoyed the read. this forum needs more pictures!

Ill also keep you all posted on his first race which I hope to be on May 12/13th. Lets hope he dosent get lapped over and over Smile

Back to top Go down
bigbirdjustin

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: Re: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitimeThu Apr 12, 2012 5:42 pm

i also signed up for the updates from motoball twice and never recived any kind of update. but when my knee gets better ( torn ACL ) i will be riding at the wall and motoball so i hope to see u there. the kx65 looks nice but it looks like it will need a new back tire.
Back to top Go down
AndyH

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: Re: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitimeFri Apr 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Tomorrow is his birthday. Ill pick up the bike from edge kawaski when im otw to the party. New tires (front/rear) and fork seals. Edge also said to bring him by so they can set the bike up for him.

Now that im not a newbie I can actually post picture links... will be alot more coming.

Back to top Go down
AndyH

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: Re: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 1:57 pm

was a hit...

Dont judge me by the messiness of my work bench.....

Untitled
Back to top Go down
bigbirdjustin

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: Re: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitimeMon Apr 16, 2012 5:46 pm

lol your garage is super clean compared to mine
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

65cc new rider Empty
PostSubject: Re: 65cc new rider   65cc new rider Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

65cc new rider
Page 1 of 1